bléuscape design

Q & A 101 – The Building Process

In an attempt to answer some fundamental questions associated with the design and construction process, we are going to post a Q&A every week for a few months. We hope it helps you learn just a little more about how things work when building or doing a renovation to an existing home. Feel free to also write to us if you need to discuss anything further.

Question 1: I’m wanting to build on my property (house, extensions, carport, etc.) what is the process?


Contact a licensed designer / Architect, who will draw your plans to the current rules & regulations within your council region. Discuss with the designer if a Development Application (DA) or engineering are required in your application (footings, slab, timber/steel sizes, tie downs, etc.)
Or, if unsure head to your local council & talk to a certifier or town planner about what you can do on your property.

Once plans are drawn, lodge them through a private certifier. He will assess the application under the current Queensland Building Act & Codes & issue a building permit. Note: No building work can proceed without the building permit.

Once you have your plans approved construction may proceed.

Application Process

For the application process, you will require:

  • 4 x hardcopies of architectural plans
  • 3 x REPQ Engineered designed footings & slab & Soil tests (if applicable)
  • Completed Queensland government forms IDAS 1 & 2, plumbing Form 2 if applicable Forms
  • Signed Building Approvals Engagement Agreement

Time Frame for Approvals

Once lodged and paid your application will take around 3-4 weeks to have them certified. (Be aware this may vary depending on the category of application i.e Self assessable, Code assessable or Impact assessable)

There is a fast track service available for additional fees with most private certifiers, which processes your application within 3-4 days.

Once you have Approved Plans.

You will receive 2 sets of approved plans back, please read carefully your decision notice (DN) as it has valuable information on it regarding expiry date, etc. Now you can start construction work. You need to book inspections with your certifier as per the DN either frame & final or just a final.

Once the final inspection has been complete you must obtain certificates that the certifier has checked on this inspection & address any issues that certifier may have listed under the comment section.

Need More Time?

If you find after the 18-month  approval period, you are running out of time to finish the building work, you can apply for an extension of time. This is an extra 12 month to complete your application. Fees apply.

The pivate certifier will require mandatory certificates applicable to your application (refer to your decision notice) if they have not already been forwarded.

Certificates required are:

  • Site plan layout from a licensed surveyor (height, land)
  • Engineering- footing, slab
  • Termite control- Form 16, warranty, location map
  • Frame inspection completed.

Complete form request to change or extend an existing approval.

Please note: Only one extension of time can be applied for. If the building work isn’t completed after the time frame, a form 22 will be issued and the application lapses.




Scroll to Top